Monday, November 26

Technology

I just noticed that people here in Dubai are holding two phones. A long, long time ago, people don't even have mobile phones! Previously, it was only certified businessmen who carry phones so that they will be reachable to their clients. 

I think it was in the 90s when slowly the work force started having access to mobile phones. I remember my parents brought one at home and we (my siblings and I) were amazed. We wanted to get a hold of the device. We took turns in calling our friends that I remember when the monthly bill came, my mom freaked out! The bill was humongous!! 

Fast forward to today, you go for a stroll and you would see kids holding 2 different devices - an iPhone and Blackberry or a Blackberry and a Samsung. It is as if having one phone is not sufficient. I am pretty sure that the contacts are both in their two phones! 

(photo from apple.com)


(photo from us.blackberry.com)

I have to admit I am also guilty in having two phones - I have a work and personal phone, an HTC windows phone and Blackberry respectively. To be honest, I didn't have a choice, people in our office / company needs to get hold of me being part of the Procurement Department. I also need to follow up on suppliers, etc and I don't think I am going to be doing all that on my personal phone!

(photo from stuffmideast.com)


I did ask a few people about having two sets of personal phones and most of the comment I receive is because their phones perform different tasks. An iPhone can be used for browsing, updating your social status, watching videos and capturing pictures. Their Blackberries will be used more for communication  - BBMing with friends! 

Truth be told, technology has come a long way and it's not only the businessman who needs these devices but it seems everybody needs and wants to get hold of it!! 

I wonder... will we all end up having 3 or 4 phones in hand to communicate when all we really need / want is to talk in person?